Be Joyful in hope, Patient in affliction, faithful in prayer. Romans 12:12
Photobucket

Living in Jophies Jungle Headline Animator

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Fit For Life Friday........Week 8





I'm a bit late on posting but, I'm here! Bad storms went through Thursday and I had no electric till Friday.

This week has been a bit slow....Well to be more exact I've been moving mighty slooooooow. I've been a bit under the weather for a few days plus my body was screaming for a little break from swimming.

I swim for 1 1/2 to 2 hours every day and in that time I can generally finish 300 laps in the first 90 minutes then I'll cool down the last half hour. Naturally I'm tired when I finish but for the last 4-5 days I kept noticing I was more tired than normal and was really struggling to just get 100 laps.

So.....for the last 2 days I have given myself a little break to let my body recoup and rest! I honestly think my iron was low. I was absolutely freezing/tired/sleepy/fuzzy brained. I started thinking back through the last couple weeks and you know what I realized?? I hadn't eaten hardly ANY red meat. ACK! I'm a HUGE carnivore so for me this in unheard of! It seems though that the meats I was eating were so lean and very low in iron. Needless to say this chicky made herself one big HONKIN meat loaf! Modified and healthy of course! :0)

Today I'm feeling a bit better and was able to swim about 30 minutes getting in 100 laps! Yay! I am still freezing and still pooooped but I do see an improvement. I guess the moral to this story would be......

EAT MORE RED MEAT! :0)

As far as my weight I'm still hovering between that 1-2 pound mark just shy of losing 50 pounds. No worries though! I really needed to let my body rest a bit and even with losing 2 days of excercise I still maintained......Well actually I lost a few tenths but I'm just going to keep it at a loss of 48 pounds and hit my 50 pound mark hopefully next week!

My tip for this week! Well you knew I'd have one right?????

TIP: Speakin of meat:

You can pretty much have any kind of meat you would like HOWEVER......

You need to buy the leanest cuts possible and watch the fat grams. On the back of just about every food product there is a nutritional guide with all kinds of important info.......

This is from the back of my boneless/skinless chicken breast package. As you can see its only 1 gram of fat per serving.

OK thats really good but what your not told is the best TIP EVER!

Right over from the TOTAL FAT you will see a % amount. On this particular package its 2%. You need to always check that percentage. Even if the package says 90% lean you still need to check.

You are looking for 6% OR less. Thats it! You will be amazed how many meats you can have! Now I have found some packages boasting 98% lean but they will have a high % of fat. That just means the bulk of that meat has been mixed with more fatty meat than lean meat which is NOT good and quite frankly I think its a bit deceiving of them to pull that over on us.

So all you gotta remember is 6% or less and you'll be just fine!

I hope everyone has a great week!

3 comments:

Mariah said...

Good job listening to your body and resting when you need to rest. Our bodies are amazing...they tell us what we need if we learn to listen. I'm learning that recently. Of course when mine screams, "Give me junk food!" I know it's lying! :-) I agree with reading the fat percentage and that the marketing techniques for food products are deceiving. I try to keep my fat intake at 5%. Thanks for visiting me!

Deedra said...

Wow! no wonder you are tired! 1.5-2 hours of swimming is AWESOME!! I'm so glad you read the signs your body was sending, and got some rest! I love your tips! Keep em coming!!

Have a wonderful week!

Andie said...

1 1/2 -2 hours of swimming...WOW!!! I'm totally impressed! No wonder you've lost 48 pounds!!! I swam one day for about 1 hour (just about a mile) and was sooooo pooped! I now walk 1 1/2 -2 miles a day, that's more my speed. Love to swim, but just can't fit it into my kid-filled day (unless I take them swimming...but I can't do laps and watch them at the same time!!)
Blessings-Andie

Feed my Fishies